“Golden Sludge” Cacao Recipe
© John Herron – The Gut Health Protocol
Servings 1 (see below for premix instructions):
Wet and fats:
- Microwave 12 ounces of fresh water (dechlorinated is best, but not required) in a microwave safe coffee mug for about 2 minutes and 20 seconds (in my microwave). The water should be between 160-200°F), you do not want it at boiling temperature. If it is not warm enough the fibers won’t mix well or emulsify the fats correctly. If it is too hot the mix will turn to gel.
- While the water is heating, mix all of the above dry ingredients together in another cup or bowl. This is about 2 and 2/3rds Tbsp. of powder.
- Remove the cup of hot water from the microwave and spoon in ½ to 1 teaspoon of Golden Turmeric Paste, stir gently (to not make a mess)
- Transfer the liquid to a taller measuring cup (or blender) so that everything can be blended without making a mess (especially if using the immersion or stick blender). We mixed the turmeric first as it can stain plastic before it is diluted.
- Add ½ – 1 Tbsp. of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Add ½ – 1 Tbsp. of Kerrygold (or other grass-fed) butter (optional, but yummy and has vitamin K2)
- Add 1-2 drops of the Zeylanicum (Ceylon) Cinnamon Bark Oil #1
- Add the dry mix. Mix with an immersion blender (or frother), or whisk well. At this point I use the frother as it is simpler and less chance of blowing the powders out of the cup. (This recipe can also be made in a blender. Add all of the ingredients in order and pulse for 45-60 seconds). The fibers and fat emulsify together to form one creamy, and very yummy, mix (but it must be mixed well at the right temps).
- Pour back in to coffee mug. If you like it hot, microwave it again for 15-20 seconds
- Sip and enjoy knowing that it is doing you a world of good!
#1 The cinnamon oil is only needed during the kill phase and the first 2-3 weeks during repair phase. Though cinnamon oil kills far less probiotic bacteria than most other kill supplements, it may still hold back your microbiota diversity.
- 3 Tablespoons, 1 Teaspoons Larch Tree
- 3 Tablespoons, 1 Teaspoons Acacia Senegal fiber
- 10 Tablespoons Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum (PHGG)
- 1 Tablespoons, 2 Teaspoons Stevia
- 2 Cups Cacao Powder
- 2 Tablespoons – Glucomannan Powder (Konjac Root) (Optional, but it helps to thicken drinks and is a good soluble fiber)
- 3 Tablespoons, 1 Teaspoons Psyllium husk powder (optional, if adapted to it)
- 1 Tablespoons, 2 Teaspoons Resistant Starch (optional, if adapted to it)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Glycine (optional)
TOTAL = 3.32 CUPS (fluffs up to almost 4 cups)
This method saves a lot of time in making a mug of Golden Sludge! I use a 1 quart Ball jar and a canning funnel to first premix all the powders except the cacao. Put a lid on the jar and shake together. Then add the cacao powder and shake well until everything is one even color.
To make a 12 oz mug – Add the fats and liquids to the hot water (as above) and use two tablespoons of the dry mix. Use an immersion blender to mix it all together.